Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Putting 'Christ' back into Christmas with cayons!




Let's bring 'Christ' back into Christmas, the preacher said. This was almost a month ago, just before I left for an end-of-the-year break to Gujarat. Almost a month later, isn't it a little too late to be thinking about Christmas?

Sometimes, all it takes is an envelope for one to travel back in time. In this case, it was an envelope packed with Christmas Cards, each lovingly made by hand and adorned with the choicest blessings. As always, the cards were made by two very sweet girls, Vera and Jennifer, whom I have the good fortune of being acquainted with. In truth, we sponsor the education of these girls, who are brimming on the edge of womanhood, and willl soon leave the cloistered environs of the Church to find their way in life. But, as usual, that's getting ahead of the story.
A few years ago, Nalini and I wanted to help educate a girl child who had no one in the world. When we were asked if we would educate two girls who had no father, we did not think twice. Over the last two or three years, Vera, Jenneifer and their mother have become a part of our ecosystem. I use the word liberally, as they are neither friends in the typical sense, and nor are they family. Neither have I ever introduced them to my friends or family - or frankly, even spoken about them to friends or family. Not because I am embarassed to do so, but I think that they would die of embarassement if I did not break them into my world, very, very gently.

So what is it that makes this shy, reticent trio, so special to us? In one word - Love. I guess that at some point, it does have to do with the material element of being supported by us. But on the other hand, this trio of Christmas cards, received well after New Year, has a message of its own. The message is simple - that which a crayon and love can create, no store in the world can match. You cannot put a price on the smile behind the creator of these cards. You cannot stick a bar code tag on the back of these cards, as they are priceless. And with every passing year, my collection of Vera and Jennifer's creations occupies an increasing amount of space on my soft board.



I have not brought these young ladies out of the closet. Their trio of cards has. It would be very cynical of me to simply call them up and say 'Thank You' , which I shall do anyway. I wanted to share the simple innocence of these young girls who need no money to say 'Merry Christmas' or 'Thank You'. All they need is a piece of paper, a box of crayons and lots of love.



As a writer, I am conditioned to spotting errors. Theirs, I ovelook with a smile, thinking to myself...
"Forgive them, for they know not how they write. But they do know WHAT they convey."

If there is a single cynic out there reading this, I would like you to meet Vera and Jennifer someday. One day, when they are ready to be exposed to our world. That day, their smiles and coyness will smash your cynicsm to smithereens. That will be the day you realise what Christmas is all about.

Thank You, Vera and Jennifer, for making every day seem like Christmas Day for Nalini and me.
Thank You for making it feel like 'Christ'mas, all year long.

Cyrus Dadachanji aka gypsycy
P.S. I may never post their pictures, but their love shines through these cards...























































































































































































































3 comments:

  1. Very very touching Cy! I'm glad to have a friend who is sensitive to people - especially girl children in need. It takes courage and commitment to include them on your own world. Kudos!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Super, its momoents like these, that we see Christ in everthing, continue doing the good work. God bless spread HIS love

    ReplyDelete